Post Icon

Like Mother Like Daughter?

I was fortunate to spend the past two weeks vacationing down south with my family. We had a wonderful time at my parent’s house and beach house doing all our normal vacation activities – golfing, swimming, fishing, boating, hunting for shells, etc. I even got to see both my sisters and their families. So much fun!

Even though we have been visiting every summer for the past ten years, the thing which struck me on this trip was the number of similarities there are between my house and my mother’s house. It seemed everywhere I looked in my mom’s house I saw something I have in my house – from furniture to accessories to dishes and glasses. It got me thinking. Does everyone decorate like their mother?

We have the same faucet and back splash in our kitchens. I am in the process, though, of switching my handles to lever style because of my new kitchen countertops.

My Mom's Kitchen


My kitchen

The bedding in my parent’s guest bedroom is the same as what was in my daughter’s room before her bedroom makeover.

My Mom's Guest Bedroom

My Daughter's Old Bedroom

Our living rooms are remarkably alike – a tan couch, barrel back chair and a little bit of French influence - a cane back chair for her and a bergere chair for me. The pillows on her couch and chair were made by me and although I make a variety of pillows, these are the ones I choose to have in my house too.

My Mom's Living Room:

My Living Room
Women's Day Budget Decorating
Photographer – Michael Partenio
Stylist - Donna Talley, Regional Editor and Producer for Meredith Publications


My Mom's French Chair

My French Chair
Women's Day Budget Decorating
Photographer – Michael Partenio
Stylist - Donna Talley, Regional Editor and Producer for Meredith Publications



I even have the same Bob Timberlake coffee table (including the blue and white Royal Copenhagen plates) in another room in my house. Notice the marble top dresser behind my mom's sofa? I have a marble top night stand in my daughter’s bedroom.

My Mom's Dresser

My Daughter's Nightstand

We both use vintage finds – ceiling tins, old shelves, antiques, etc. – along with starfish.

My Mom's Bathroom

My Bathroom

Two urns in the front of the house – yes, we both have those too!

My Mom's Urns

My Urn's
I could go on and on but you get the point. My mom and I decorate our houses in very similar ways.

I have to say, however, it was not always this way. Our houses were always somewhat alike but never to the extent that they are now. The older I have gotten the more our styles have merged. Our “decorating relationship” has become more of a give and take. Where I used to be the one asking for her opinion, my mom now asks me for advice too.

Don’t get me wrong, we do have our differences. I use only live plants, while my mom will use faux greenery. My mom’s taste is very traditional while I appreciate the clean lines of a few more modern pieces. I also tend to like a mix of finishes and furniture while my mom prefers a much more matched approach. Small differences, but differences none the less.

So, how about you? Do you decorate like your mother? Or is your style completely different?

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

visitors map