Post Icon

Tutorial ~Ruffle Shirt 2 ~


The ruffle shirt tutorial I did a while back was the most popular tutorial I have ever done. I love the shirt so much that I wear it all the time. This time, I wanted to try something a little different but still with lots of ruffles.

At regular Down East stores, they have been selling their wonder tee for $5. I bought 2 shirts for this project. One shirt is one size larger, I wanted to cut out longer strips.


{How To}

1. Cut the sides of the t-shirts. You will have two pieces now. Lay them flat on cutting table and cut the fabric diagonally. (The strips are 2 1/2" wide)


2. Draw 1 1/2" line in the middle of the t-shirt, from the neck down.


3. Stitch the line and pull the thread to gather the fabric to make a sweetheart shaped neckline.


4. Take the strips you made from step 1, and cut the ends with a nice curve so they will have a nice smooth edge.


5. Then, cut the strips wavy.


6. To make ruffles, sew the strips with the largest setting on your sewing machine. (1/4" from the edge)


7. Pull the string to gather fabric. Now you have pretty ruffles!


8. To sew the ruffles onto the t-shirt, start from the left side. Please use the pictures as a guide. This is a little tougher than the other ruffle shirt.

a. Sew the short ruffles by the neckline.


b. Sew the medium ruffles below 8a. Make sure a will hide b's top part.


c. Sew the long ruffles.(part of the ruffles overlap each other, and that's OK)


d. Sew the long ruffles as in 8c, but to finish it off place the ruffles downward.


9. Now, work on the right side.

a. Sew the short ruffles by the neckline. Overlap the left side ruffles a little.


b. Sew the short ruffles below 9a. The end will lay between 8b and 8c on the left side.


c. Sew the long ruffles below 9b. From the middle section, the ruffles need to go downward.


d. Sew the long ruffles below 9c. Follow the natural curve that 9c made.


e. Sew the medium ruffles next to 9d.


I gave you the directions for what I did and how I did it, but of course, you can be creative and play around with the ruffle strips! You never know, what kind of design you can come up with.


I am pretty excited with the results, and wore it as soon as I finished it! I would loove to try this with silk or a more thin and soft material. Wouldn't that be fun? I know I am going to enjoy the shirt this summer!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

visitors map