Post Icon

A little more pizzazz

Once upon a time, there was a cabinet at the top of the stairs.

image

This cabinet served the Very Important Purpose of holding yarn and knitting needles (for the winter months when the furnishing-refinishing business is slow). It was a good cabinet, but it wasn’t well-liked. The fact that it was brown against a brown wall probably had something to do with it.

So one day in the dead of winter, it got painted!

image

…and there was much rejoicing!

Although it looked much better, and it still continued to fulfill its Very Important Purpose most admirably, the fickle owner (yes, that’s me) was not completely satisfied. I envisioned something with a little more style…a little more panache…a little more pizzazz…to fulfill the Very Important Purpose. However, besides being fickle, I also happen to be incredibly cheap <ahem>, I mean frugal. So I settled back to wait until the furniture fates would conspire to give me what I wanted.

fabric 028

When this little chest appeared in the classified ads, and it happened to coincide with a trip to the airport, I knew my day had arrived! The seller told me this chest used to belong to her grandmother. She sold it to me for $48!

I painted this little chest in my favorite off-white…

dresser

…distressed it lightly, and glazed it to “age” the color. There was no changing the hardware on this piece...the knobs are a carved part of the drawer fronts! There were no visible bolts or screws.

antique distressed dresser

Being not only fickle and frugal, but also impatient, I hauled it up to the top of the stairs all by myself to see how it would look!

off-white antique dresser

I think…I like it!

grandma's dresser

It now serves the Very Important Purpose of holding yarn and knitting needles…and looking pretty.

The former cabinet is serving some other Very Important Purpose for some Other Person now. I sold it for $160, and since I use paint and glaze I had on hand, I maintain that I made $112 on this deal!

*************************************************************

Linking up here.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

visitors map