Post Icon

Lady Gray

I like gray, but it doesn’t always like me.

It’s just not fair. I see gray walls, cupboards, and furniture everywhere, and they look so pretty. So last week I picked up a sample pot of Martha Stewart “Fossil” paint (a pretty pale gray/green color on the paint chip), and painted a swathe on my front room walls.

Bleaaahhhh.

Yes, it’s really that bad. I just can’t pick ‘em.

Let me interrupt myself here to say that on the positive side, this is the first time I was SMART enough to buy a sample pot. I still have about 2 gallons of paint left from my last painting disaster!

However, I’ve *really* wanted to try painting a piece of furniture gray again. My last try was a disaster, and I ended up with blue instead. But I was ready to give it a shot again on this $15 DI piece I picked up a few weeks ago:

missgrey 001

As luck would have it, I happened to have part of an “oops” quart of gray paint leftover from last summer. It was getting old and rather thick, and there wasn’t much left anyway. So I dumped in a healthy dollop of creamy white, a fair amount of water, and mixed it all up.

missgrey 010

I loved this color. It was gray, but not a “cool” gray…a healthy hint of brown made it a warm color. In the twilight, it looked almost taupe. Gorgeous.

I didn’t want to alter the color too much, so I glazed very lightly with black. Mostly I just hit the edges and the indentations on the cupboard doors.

missgrey 017

The pulls are the ones it came with, but they are not original to the piece. In fact, if you look at the “before” picture above, you can see where extra holes were drilled for this “new” hardware.

missgrey 014

All the pulls used to be that brassy color, so I painted them with ORB spray paint.

lady gray buffet

It was hard to take a decent picture of this buffet, because it goes with nothing in my house!

grey buffet

I probably should have had a photo shoot in the yard for this one!

country gray buffet

I’m thinking I may have to take my paint stick in to be color-matched so I can have more of this lovely gray.

gray buffet

I call her “Lady Gray-the-Buffet” in my head Winking smile I know it’s silly, but that’s the name she’s stuck with!

Are there any colors you love, but just can’t seem to make work in your house?

******************************************************

Linking up here.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

visitors map