Post Icon

My Three Secrets to Finding Roadside Treasures

Many of you have been amazed by what I have found by the side of the road. In all honesty, so have I. You have asked me where I live, why people put things on the street, and if you could come along with me in my car! You may be surprised to learn the three biggest secrets to my success in finding freebies.

#1 - I am a runner.

I still run but I used to be a very serious and dedicated runner. It was not uncommon for me to run twice a day – morning and afternoon. I am up early - about the time most people haul their “trash” to the curb – allowing me the first look at what is being thrown away. I guess the early runner gets the finds! A second benefit of being a runner is it gives you a different perspective than driving around in a car. When you run, you are more apt to slow down and take a closer look. You see things when you run that you don’t when you drive. Third, when you run, you tend to take the road less traveled. I run in small neighborhoods, down side streets, and not on busy roads. All the places I am more likely to find things.

Running, however, is not without its challenges. How to get things home? Most things I will just carry while I run (really). My husband always jokes – what did you bring home now? There are times, however, when I am many, many miles from home. What to do? Why hide the stuff in the bushes of course! (I do have to admit remembering myself doing this made me giggle!) Seriously, I have hid quite a few things after finding them so no one else would take them. I simply return with the car after I complete my run.


#2 - I have lived in college towns.
Many of my best finds occurred while living in college towns. You see, twice a year students move out of their rented houses. They take what they can fit in their cars and the rest is left on the street for the garbage people (or early bird runners) to haul away. A lot of what college students use for furnishings are hand-me-downs or old things no one else in the family wants any more (translation = vintage!)

#3 - I am not bashful about looking in other people’s trash.
First a disclaimer – I am not a dumpster diver! I don’t set out to find things. I will, however, stop and take a closer look if I see something that looks interesting. When I put things out by the side of the road, I would much rather someone take it and use it then have it end up in the landfill. I guess I assume the same is true of other people who put things by the side of the road.

I do have a few other finds to share that I forgot to include in my first post. The first is a pretty pewter pitcher.
Another great and favorite find (one of my very first many years ago) is this large wooden window frame. I took out the glass and made it into a mirror. It now hangs in our upstairs hallway.

Finally, I found this great desk chair. It is oak and was missing one caster when it was found. I bought new casters and painted and glazed it to match my desk.

So now you know why I have been so successful. In truth, though, it has mostly been due to luck. I would love to hear what you have found and the secrets to your success! 

Today's Thrifty Treasure at Southern Hospitality
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm
Get Your Craft On at Today's Creative Blog
Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts
Spotlight Yourself at Its So Very Cheri
Idea Sharing Wednesday at Women Who Do It All
Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Chic Cottage
Feature Yourself Friday at Fingerprints On the Fridge
Favorite Things Friday at A few of My Favorite Things
Frugal Friday at The Shabby Nest
Weekend Wrap Up Party at Tatertots and Jello

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

visitors map