Post Icon

Christmas Hurricanes

Hurricane lamps, that is. Didn’t want anyone to panic for me!

I don’t have a mantle, but I do have a lovely buffet that is the first thing you see when you come into my house…it’s my substitute mantel!

I had it all decorated, but I was feeling vaguely dissatisfied with it. It had a lovely vintage ceramic tree on it that is special to me, but I really didn’t care about/love the other pieces that I had displayed.

Then one Saturday I had to throw together a centerpiece for a family gathering, and I pulled out my three glass hurricane lamps.

Christmas2011 003

The small center one I picked up at a garage sale this past summer, but the other two are very special—one came out of my paternal grandparents’ home, and the other out of my maternal grandparents’ home (where it was actually used). I put them together on a thrift-store tray I painted, and filled the bottom with some faux snow and some bits of greenery (real) and sparkly berries (not real). I loved the arrangement because I felt a real connection and sense of pride for these hurricanes…so I decided to ditch the original buffet décor and put my hurricanes up instead!

Christmas2011 001

I placed an old cupboard door behind the lamps so they wouldn’t get lost against the beige wall. With a couple of my beloved poinsettias (you can see my others here) and some bead garland, I love the buffet’s new look.

Above the buffet hang my children’s stockings. I cross-stitched each one for each child’s first Christmas—tricky with two December babies, but I managed it (barely)!

Christmas2011 004

I have told my children that the stockings never get to leave. They think I’m kidding. I’m really not!

Christmas2011 006

I love my buffet so much more now that it includes things that are unique and special to me. I think I’m tired of decorating just for the sake of decorating!

Christmas2011 002

How about you?

*********************************************

Linking up here:

Coastal Charm’s Nifty Thrifty Tuesday Topsy Turvy Tuesdays

Someday Crafts’ Whatever Goes Wednesday
Hookin’ Up with House of Hepworths No Minimalist Here’s Open House Thursday
Friday Remodelaholic Common Ground
My Simple Home Life’s Simple Creations Friday Sisters of the Wild West
Funky Junk’s Saturday Night Special The DIY Show Off

I Heart Naptime
Beyond the Picket Fence’s Under $100 Party My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Perfectly Imperfect {Primp}

My Repurposed Life

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

visitors map