Post Icon

Home Goals: Find One!

There has been a lot of talk on various blogs of “home goals” in the last couple of weeks…usually that consists of a list of home improvement projects we would like to tackle in the coming year…

I’m not jumping on that particular bandwagon, because I’m not exactly sure where “home” is going to be!

You might remember that back in November my husband and I reached The Last Straw which led to listing our home for sale.

image

We decided that the time had come to look for a home that would suit our family’s needs (and wants, let’s be honest here) a little better.   When we  moved here over eight years ago, we really didn’t envision that this would be our forever home…but it’s not an easy thing to think of moving a family of eight anywhere!

So we found a home that we thought was “it,” and made an offer on it.  However, the purchase of that home was continent on the sale of our home, and that hasn’t happened yet.  In the meantime, another party—who doesn’t have a home to sell first—has made an offer on the same home, so it looks like they will get it instead of us!  <sigh>

Really, I have no hard feelings about that.  I don’t it was THE place for us, and I’m sure there will be another…

The question is…what to do next??

My dear husband is tired of talking about it, so I am turning to you, my dear virtual friends…  I know YOU have a wealth of greater experience, and I am hoping to draw on that.  I would so love any words of wisdom you can offer!

So, put yourself in my shoes. 

  • You are lucky enough to have a husband who makes a comfortable income, and his job is about as secure as is possible in this economy.
  • You have six children, ranging from 4 to 14.  You want your home to be a place where they will eventually bring spouses and grandchildren.
  • You love for your home to be a family gathering place.  Having 24 people over for dinner is a common occurrence.
  • You are very frugal, and have a difficult time spending large amounts of money!

So my first round of questions are these:

  1. Which is more important, getting the best house for the money, or getting the best house for the most money you can reasonably afford?
  2. Would you prefer to buy a pre-existing home or build one, and why?

I’m going to stop there for tonight!  If you’re willing, there will surely be another round of questions for the whole “build vs. buy” question at a later date!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

visitors map