Post Icon

I am SO not a decorator...

Fall is popping up all over the blogging world! It is my favorite time of year. I love the changing colors, and I *love* the cooling temperatures! I am not a summer person. In fact, I don't think I can even be a summer-decorating person! I love looking at pictures of all those beach-y cottage-y homes in the whites and pale blues...but it is just not me. I am a fall person all the way!

But...I haven't gotten out my pumpkins yet! And I do have a few (not many). But before I do get them out, I thought I might as well show a couple of things as they are right now--as long as you promise to understand that I am NOT a decorator! I am an engineer by training, a wife and mother and homeschooler by choice (most days), and a furniture painter by happy accident!

Do you remember this table that I painted? Well, it's still sitting right where I took the picture. I couldn't bear to sell it, and my husband has learned to walk around it! This is what it looks like today (crooked pictures and all):

I fell for the numbering craze along with everyone else! The tiny planters were $.25/each at Target. They used to be bright colors; I painted them black. I think Hobby Lobby supplied the greenery. The numbers were cut out of cardstock by my Cricut, and I used spray adhesive to attach them to the little planters. And the birds? Yep, they're from Dollar Tree. These were some of my first ever spray-painting projects!

The little galvanized metal & glass cloche was a garage-sale find. I am madly in love with it! (Don't tell my husband!) My daughter doesn't understand why I put one of a set of plants under it...I don't know why either. I just like it!


I also love these scales. The first one I bought is the one on the right, with the eagle on top. It was ugly brass when I found it, but I loved the shape of the thing. I sprayed it with Krylon's Oil-Rubbed Bronze spray paint, and it found a home on top of my bookshelves. The one on the front right came from DI--it got the same treatment. The one in the back (in its own case) was an auction find. I paid more for it than the other two put together--and I think I like it the least. Serves me right for getting caught up in auction fever!


Besides not being a decorator, I am also NOT a photographer. Regardless, here's the whole top of the bookshelf. I'm still not in love with it. I kind of scrambled to get some things up there after Christmas, and I'm not crazy about everything. I love the metal urn on the left, and the white urn on the right. They are old things I found at a local consignment shop, and they spoke to me. I like the tray and the platter, but I purchased those new, so they don't have the same appeal to me. Is it because I know 764 other people have the same things? Maybe.


Here's a picture I tried without the flash. It really is much prettier (and less out-of focus) in person!

Maybe I need to take a photography class!



Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

visitors map