Post Icon

Down Memory Lane ~Double Wedding Quilt~





I have more quilts that I made in the past and I haven't shared with you. Today I will talk about this Double wedding ring quilt a little bit. I started working on this quilt shortly after I got engaged to my husband about 17 years ago...



I was visiting the United States from Japan, and after a short while we were engaged. I wasn't expecting that to happen, so I extended the stay but after three months I had to go home (the visa only allowed me to stay for three month). Our original plan was that I would get a visa and come back to the US but I had a hard time getting it. We were separated for 6 month until he came to Japan to marry me (I still couldn't get a visa, and he had to go back for school, so we were separated for another 4 month after that...).



Long story short, it was a hard time for both of us. You can probably guess how I coped with the sadness and frustration... I made quilts. Before I left Japan, I made quilts for my mom, a bag for my sister, and this double wedding ring quilt.











It is done ALL by hand. I didn't know any fancy methods (paper piecing and such), so I traced, cut them by hand, pieced them one by one and quilted. I love hand quilting. While I was sitting and working on my wedding quilt, I forgot all my worries and loneliness... so I just kept on quilting. Not only that, I had happy thoughts about what our married life would be like, how I wanted to decorate our bed with this quilt... seriously, quilt making is so therapeutic. If you are not a quilter, you should try it!



When we were finally reunited and started our life together, I did, I covered our bed with this quilt. I was so happy to see one of my visions for our life together came true...until one day, my husband came out the shower and sat on the bed... on the quilt!



I was thinking; Wait a minute! That wasn't in my plan. It took me so many months to make this quilt... I took the quilt off the bed and decided to make a different quilt to warm my beloved right away. :)

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

visitors map