Post Icon

A Perfect Union of Table and Marble

I put my husband on high alert this morning – code words for I have a project and I am going to need your help! Without giving him any details I got right to the point – “Do you think you can cut marble with your circular saw?” (My husband is very handy. One of these days I will have to share photos of all the super cool things he has done around our house.) An out of the blue question, considering I hadn’t filled him in on the previous week’s activities.

You see, I had spotted a piece of marble in an antiques store a few days ago and could not stop thinking about it. I have always loved marble – floors, countertops, lamps, marble topped dressers and tables. Last night while I was supposed to be sleeping I had an idea – use the marble for a top to my daughter’s night stand! I couldn’t quite remember the size of the piece of marble (I didn’t measure.). I was, however, pretty certain it was too long, hence, the question.

So, I filled my husband in on the details – marble, probably too big, would need to cut one side, would look so cute, cheap, please, etc. Since he knows by now that my questions aren’t really questions at all - more of a letting him know what he will be doing when he gets home - he said go for it.

Of course things aren’t always how we remember them. Sometimes they turn out better! I went back to the store and discovered the piece of marble had been the top to an old Eastlake style side table. The table had broken but the top survived. To my delight, it was the perfect size – just a few inches larger than the night stand I wanted to use it on.

I happily made my purchase and discussed with the dealer the best way to clean and polish the marble. He suggested using toothpaste for cleaning and then buffing it with car wax.  (I ended up using some polish I already had on hand.).

Here is the night stand before. It is made of oak and painted heirloom white.

Here is the night stand with the marble top.

Unfortunately I can only give you a sneak peak (below) of what the table looks like in my daughter’s room. I just finished a complete bedroom redo and it is currently being considered for a Better Homes and Garden’s photo shoot.

So what do you think? I love how the marble is a little unexpected and adds another texture and pattern to my daughter’s room. The best part – no cutting. Although, I have to say I was kind of looking forward to seeing if my husband could actually cut marble with a circular saw. I guess there is always a next time!

Trash to Treasures
Todays Creative Blog
A Soft Place to Land
Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Chic Cottage
Show Off Your Stuff Party at Fireflies and Jelly Beans
What I made this week at Simply Designing
Share your story Friday at Remodelaholics
Its so very Cheri
Tip me Tuesday at Tip Junkie
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm
The Inspired Room
The Shabby Nest
Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed
Feature Yourself Friday at Fingerprints on the Fridge

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

visitors map