Post Icon

How to Age Brass

Is it just me, or have you also noticed brass making a comeback lately in the design world?


Brass sink, faucet, and light fixture – photo source unknown

I am not talking about shiny lacquered brass but rather the aged, “been around for a while” looking brass.

Brass vase from Little Green Notebook

Having owned my share of brass fixtures, lamps and accessories, I will be the first to admit I go back and forth on my opinion about brass – sometimes I like it and sometimes I don’t and my feelings about it seem to change depending on the room in which it is being used. What I am quite certain about, however, is my dislike for shiny, lacquered brass – the type my table lamp (shown below) is made from.


To remedy the situation I decided to do some internet research to find out how I could age my brass lamp. The technique shown below can also be used for candlesticks, door knobs, etc. – the key is to make sure the item you are working with is brass.

Supplies
Nail polish remover
Apple cider vinegar
Final stripping pads
Paper towels
Towel

Directions
Take lamp apart.


Place a small amount of nail polish remover on stripping pad. Gently rub to remove lacquered finish. It is important to use a very fine grade of stripping pad so that you do not make scratches in the metal.


Once all lacquer has been removed, wipe brass with soap and water to remove any nail polish residue. Dry.


Place lamp on towel and slowly pour a small amount of apple cider vinegar over the brass. You may want to place a piece of plastic under the towel to prevent the vinegar from soaking into the table or floor surface. If you are using a candle stick or something similar you could soak the item in a container rather than use the method shown here.


Let sit and add additional apple cider vinegar until desired finish is achieved. I discovered the brass which was in contact with the soaked towel aged fairly quickly. Thus, I kept turning the sections of the brass which had not aged so that they were in contact with the soaked part of the towel.


If your brass turns green – like mine did – simply wipe clean with a damp cloth.


The result – a lamp which now looks like it has been around for many years.




I would love to hear your opinion about brass.  Do you have any brass in your home? If so, where?  Thanks for sharing your ideas and thoughts!

Linking up with
Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Chic Cottage
Tip Me Tuesday at Tip Junkie
Tickled Pink at 504 Main
Saturday Night Special at Funky Junk Interiors

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

visitors map