Post Icon

Un-Matching the Bedroom

Like many newly-weds, when my husband and I moved into our first home we had a mishmash of furniture hand me downs. Most rooms were almost empty and the few things we did have were nowhere near close to matching.

So when we finally saved enough money to purchase new furniture, we began in the bedroom and were determined to buy a matching set. We started with the bed and two dressers and then over the course of the next two years added the matching bedside table, bench, and mirror one piece at a time. Perfect – or so we thought.


Some would say pretty but it is just not our style (OK, my style) anymore. Truth be told, my husband still likes it. Although the furniture is very good quality, the arts and crafts motif does not fit with the rest of the house and I prefer a more “collected over time” look.


What to do?

My plan is to slowly start un-matching this room. The first item to go will be the bench. I plan to list it on Craigslist and then use the money to purchase a new bench.


Also included in the plan will be moving the bed to my son’s room. At the moment he has only a bedframe, and this style of bed – to me – is more fitting for a boy’s room than for a master bedroom.


Changing out these two pieces of furniture will go a long way to making this room less matchy-matchy. Eventually the mirror, tall dresser, and side table will also be relocated like they were acquired, piece by piece, over a long period of time and as they are found.

The ironic part is how things seem to have come full circle. We began with a mix of styles, went to a matching set and are now going back to a more eclectic look.

So, how about you? Do you prefer a room which looks collected over time or one which is made up of matching pieces? I am interested in hearing your opinion.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

visitors map