Post Icon

From pine to divine

I came across this cute little cabinet…buffet…washstand…at Deseret Industries a few weeks ago. It was finished in the classic orange-y pine stain, but I loves the cute little spindles on each end. That little detail is what makes me think ‘washstand’ when I look at it. Obviously it’s not a true antique, but may be a cute little reproduction (?)

teatray 014teatray 015

This is one of those projects that did NOT go well at first. Have you ever come across a color of paint that you just can’t make work? Once upon a time, I decided to paint our basement family room yellow to bring some light into it. I wanted a warm, sunny, golden color.

What I got was an anemic key lime pie.

I think I lived with it about…oh, 24 hours…before deciding THERE’S NO WAY!!

But I couldn’t just get rid of all that good paint, could I?? So I’ve tried to use it on various projects, and even succeeded to some extent or another. But I tried it on this little cabinet, and it was an EPIC FAIL! Glazing only made it worse. Normally you would consider “yellow” to be a warm color, right? Well, this yellow is the coolest shade of yellow I never imagined! And when I applied a warm glaze to a cool shade…ugh!

Well, a fifty-cent ‘oops’ paint sample came to the rescue, and the whole thing got repainted in a warm, lovely cream (with a dark brown glaze, naturally).

Bellas 014

Nothing really new or revolutionary, here! But I love the classic, romantic feel of the piece.

Bellas 015

I made a couple of linen hand towels (with ruffles!) with graphics from the Graphics Fairy. I love how they look with this piece.

Bellas 018

Bellas 019

So there she is…disaster averted!

Bellas 017

This little cabinet will be available for sale at Bella’s Vintage Market at Wheeler Farms (Salt Lake City) on July 9! “Like” them on Facebook for $1 off admission. The first 10 people at my booth that mention reading my blog will get a free gift!

Linking up to these great parties here.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

visitors map