Post Icon

Are Two Better than One?

When it comes to decorating I tend to favor pairs of items in symmetrical arrangements– two lamps on my buffet, two potted plants on the mantel, pairs of pillows on my sofa, pairs of candle sticks on my dining room table, and matching footstools tucked under a console table.   I could go on and on but you get the point.

Recently, however, I came across this ad by Hickory Chair and was captivated by the asymmetrical placement of a single large mirror.


It reminded me of another favorite photo – this one by designer Lauren Liess of Pure Style Home – featuring a large piece of art placed slightly off-center.

Pure Style Home

The asymmetrical arrangement in these two photos really has me thinking about how I approach design.  Perhaps two is not always better than one?

I would love to know what you think.  Do you decorate in symmetrical pairs or do you prefer a more asymmetrical look with a single large focal point like the photos above?


  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

visitors map