Post Icon

Beadboard signs

It’s no secret that I love typography! Before I started painting on tables, I painted words of all kinds on recycled cupboard doors, old canvas, and scraps of baseboard (you can see these here, here, here, and here). After seeing Miss Mustard Seed’s MARKET sign, I was inspired to cut up a piece of beadboard I had left over from a project last summer.

I didn’t do any measuring…just cut off some pieces that looked good to me. I used my Silhouette to design the wording. Since vinyl is expensive, I cut the lettering out of cardstock and used spray adhesive to temporarily fix the letters to the beadboard.

Note: it helps to lay out the letters on your board before your spray them, and make little pencil marks to remind you where to place them after they are all sticky!

This is what it looks like with the cardstock letters on the beadboard, before I paint over them:

aluminum 001

All of the beadboard was base-coated in white before I played with the letters.

The “Market” sign was my first and favorite! I used some leftover paint from a Behr Ultra sample pot to paint over the board. Yes, you get some more bleeding under the letters, but for a sign that will be glazed and distressed anyway, it really doesn’t matter! You also don’t get perfect coverage…but that’s part of the charm.

Bellas 045

I used a small brush and black acrylic paint to “shadow” the letters. I love the depth it gives. Then I sand everything down well, and glaze it with brown stain mixed with a glazing medium, concentrating on the grooves.

I did a couple of French signs. “Boulangerie” is “bread shop,” and “Patisserie” is “pastry shop.” Surely two of the best places in the world to be!

Bellas 030Bellas 031

The “Groceries” sign is the same color as the “Market” sign. Do you like the antique wooden shoe form sitting in front? I got it from I’m So Vintage’s etsy shop!

Bellas 046

I love red. This one would have been great in my kitchen. I grew up on homemade bread, and my family goes through at least 6 loaves every week!

Bellas 047

The “Eggs” sign was inspired by Full Circle Creations.

Bellas 049

I didn’t distress or glaze the “Lemonande” sign. It was so clean and bright as it was…perfect for summer!

Bellas 048-1

Which sign is your favorite? Or do you have another idea for a sign? Be thinking about it, because JULY 25 is my one-year BLOGIVERSARY! There will be a giveaway beginning that day, and one of the prizes will be a sign of the winner’s choice!

What would you want yours to say??

**************************************************

Linking up to these great parties and Saved by Suzy.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

visitors map