Post Icon

Tutorial ~ Felt Banner ~


I showed you my collection of felts, several posts ago. Looking at them made me wanna make something to display the beautiful colors.

I have decided to make a banner. Now, this is nothing new. You might have seen something similar at other places. What I wanted to share with you is how I made the cuts. I did something a little different. I used rotary cutting tools, I would recommend to use old mats, that you are thinking about getting rid of. The fiber from the felt tends to get left between the cuts and it is hard to get it out.

{You will need}


Felt in several different colors

Thread

Rotary cutting tools


{How to}

* Cut

1. Trim a felt to 9" X 9" square.


2. Cut from corner to corner, and horizontally, vertically in the middle (4 1/2").


3. Mark 4 1/2" on the diagonal lines from the center.


4. Line up the ruler from the marking you made at step 3 to the tip of the horizontal and vertical lines. Cut using the picture as a guide, if my explanation was not clear.


5. Take two large triangles lay them together. Use the picture as a guide and cut the felt. You should have 8 triangles. Repeat the process with the rest of the triangles. This way, you will end up with 32 triangles. If you want to use the strip you trimmed off at step one, you could have some more.



* Sew

1. Use scrap felt to start sewing first. Keep stitching until you have the desired length of the thicker thread (you will need this part, to hang the banner later).


2. Start feeding the felt triangles. It is better not to space them too much, if there is too much space between the felt, the thread tends to tangle easily.


3. Keep going...


Ta-da!


I made some mini banners from the scraps for my display shelf too.



This is very easy and inexpensive project. I want to make some for my boys' room now.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

visitors map